Sunday, May 4, 2014

BREWSTER STORIES (7) SEARCH FOR YOO-HOO

     The year, 1973. The place, (In back of the Hunt Club). The characters, Me, My friend Rich and his friend Glenn, Gene and the Cops.
      I had just played in a card game, with a bunch of bad poker players and had a pocket full of quarters that I had won. My friend Richie had some chocolate mescaline and we, Glenn, Richie and I, decided to go on an adventure to find Bash Bish Falls, a place of fantastic waterfalls, or so we had heard. We swallowed the mescalito in tablet form and went to get the gas tank filled. The station we chose, was the Sinclair station, on the way out of town. We needed some drinks, so I went to get something from out of the machine. Yoo-Hoo, at the time, was a very popular chocolate energy drink. I was ripped on some Black Afghan Hashish that I had scored and decided to try to empty the machine out of all the Yoo-Hoo it had in it. Each time I put a quarter in, out popped a Yoo-Hoo. I kept dropping quarters in and rapidly started stacking Yoo-Hoo cans, can, after can, after can, after can. My pocket was emptying, to my numb surprise, still no place to go. Now all the quarters were gone and what remained was a pyramid of ice cold energy drinks, waiting to be loaded into my van. We pulled the van up, opened the side doors and scattered about 60 cans of Yoo-Hoo all over the back, which consisted of a mattress and loads of blankets  and sleeping bags for camping out. We were now off to see Gene, the son of Mrs. Hunt, the owner of the Hunt club. Gene was a blatant homosexual who tended bar at this neighborhood hangout and we were going to score some of that famous Gold Colombian he had just gotten the day before. Everyone in town knew Gene had the best weed and that's what I wanted, as I pulled my van down the dead end road to the back of the Hunt Club. I was on my way to get an ounce that we all chipped in on. I started walking down the path when Gene popped up from the back of the shed and said in a gay-like feminine voice," you better get out of here, the cops are after my ass, I'm real hot man, I ain't got nothing, someone narced on me." I headed the warning and got back to my van and fired it up. Before I could get 200ft. a cop car peeled out from in back of a pile of gavel and promptly pulled me over. We were now tripping really good on the mescaline and had huge smiles on our faces, each of us with cold Yoo-Hoo cans in our fists. They had set up Gene and now, they thought they were gonna find the evidence in my van, so they filed us out of the van, lined us up and waited for back up and then began their search. Lights were flashing everywhere, reflecting off the trees and creating subtle hallucinations. I was getting a little worried, Richie had 30 hits of mescaline in his boot and the hashish I had scored was missing from where I thought it was. Nonetheless, I couldn't wipe that smile off of my face as the search continued. This chocolate mescaline was some really smiley stuff and we all wore a perpetual smile. As I had mentioned before, we seemingly had no rights back then and the cops did as they pleased. So with chocolate energy drink in hand and giant smiles on our faces we gazed on as their search was turning up nothing but full cans of Yoo-Hoo. They tore my van apart for about 20 minutes and found nothing that they were looking for. Good thing they never came across that hash I had lost, I never did either. So thinking that maybe we were some of Gene's gay friends, real happy guys, drinking chocolate energy drink and smiling our faces off, one of the cops approached us, thinking he had it all figured out in his head and said,"I see you guys are real heavy drinkers," as he smiled and tugged his belt. I replied, "oh yea officer, we love the stuff, it grows hair on your chest. Would you like to have one?" Of coarse he refused, handed me back my license and registration and let us go, but not before making a snide remark like,"you guys have a nice night now." So with a tip of his hat and a sneer of his lip he was off. Another close call!  Whoosh!
         We continued on our trip to find Bash-Bish falls which was still 100 miles away to the north. I will pick up this story from here in my next chapter of Brewster stories. But now, I must tell you about that same cop, while hitchhiking in Carmel N.Y.
        About a year later I was without vehicle and coming back from Carmel to Brewster. This was a rare moment for me, being I almost always had my car or van in my early years. However, on this day I was thumbing a ride, when a cop pulled over and asked me for my identification. I gave him my license and stood there, as he seemed to scorn his eyebrows upon reading it, he then asked me if I had a blue van with a...............when suddenly, he remembered! He spoke out with a smile and said, " I remember you now, your the guy with the Yoo-Hoo." He then promptly handed me back my license, smiled and said "HAVE A NICE DAY" and drove off grinning from ear to ear. The search he had done of my van a year ago, must have been a fond memory for him as well as for me. I could just see him telling his trooper buddies about the time he searched this hippie van for pot and all he could find was full cans of ice cold Yoo=Hoo, the chocolate energy drink and three guys that couldn't stop smiling.

        Keep smiling my friends                 Wizzzmo

No comments:

Post a Comment