Friday, March 14, 2014

PED XING or PED ZING?

       Sometimes a person goes through life without the knowledge of just what the heck certain things mean. Such as, a painted bunch of letters, on some  roadway, that make absolutely no sense to them. Figuring out meanings of  abbreviated words kind of pose a problem sometimes, you might say. Then you find out, just what has puzzled you for so many years, like when the light finally comes on and things become clear for the first time. It makes you feel so ridiculous, that you've been so clueless for all these years. You can't believe you could have been so zero minded, for so long. For years and years. Yes...!  I'll admit it.  That's me.....So what? Well....... I've got a real beauty, pertaining to the above, for your reading entertainment my friends and this is it.
        The first time I think I ever laid eyes on this painted lettering, (PED XING) I just couldn't make any sense out of it. Why would someone paint PED XING on the road. As far as I knew the X in Xing, was pronounced like a Z, as in xylophone. If it was a cross, it would be up and down, not like an X as in ax. The only thing I was confused with, in my mind, was why would it be painted in the roadway. There weren't very many pedestrian crossings back in the 60s and 70s, so as far as I was concerned, PED XING must be meant for airplanes, being it was written obviously for someone up high to read it. I must not have been high enough,......Yea....that's it!
         So... I drove down the road thinking these painted warnings were for airplanes, even though they were written in the most unusual places for some pilot to be looking down and try to see them. Ah! Maybe they're for helicopters, that might be it. So... There I was with my friend Diane, maybe we were burning one or just cruising or something, when I said," Ped zing..., man, for years I've wondered why that's painted on the street."" What the hey does ped zing mean anyway?" I asked.  She couldn't believe here ears, could he be serious? No way! "What do you mean ped zing? That means pedestrian crossing. Your not serious?"..."Your kidding, right?"" Well...no, I always thought that was a zee like in xylophone and don't know why anybody would think it's a cross and call it crossing." "That's rediculous! I was brought up Catholic and that's no cross." Totally amazed that I was serious, she then started cracking up and could hardly stop laughing.Tee he he ha ha ha! totally hilarious.........she laughed on and on.......Oh well..... as far as I was concerned, being enlightened to the fact was funny, but I still think that it's not a cross and that maybe, someone, should just make some signs to put up where drivers can see them anyway and not paint the dam road either. I wonder what the pilots of these air born contraptions think of PED XING? Maybe one of them has been wondering for years what he should do when he sees that stupid message on the street. Maybe like me he wonders, just what the heck does ped zing mean anyway and hopes it's not something meant for him.

           Stay focused my friends                   Wizzzmo

No comments:

Post a Comment