Tuesday, March 11, 2014

MAGIC AT THE CATHEY HOUSE

         This story is about a friendship between two powerful wizards and the magic of a vortex called the Cathey house. A true story of an experience I once had on a magical afternoon in Southeast Portland, with my recently departed friend Day Cathey.
         On an old Portland street, somewhere in a Southeast neighborhood, is a very magical place. I have many fantastic stories to tell you about this very old house and a friend who grew up there. This is one of those stories. Day was maybe the only man I knew that could recognize and bring out the magical talents in my repertoire. And all of this at the mere drop of a rabbitless hat. One of his talents was making you feel special from anyone else. His presence turned on the shinning lite from within. Amazing things became possible without the barriers that he could make vanish, when we were in each others company. Music, poetry, creativity, and wondrous events took place when we got together. He was truly a conductor of that energy that lyes within. One of these amazing moments happened in the front upstairs bedroom on this kinetically chosen September afternoon.
         We were sitting up in the bedroom  where he was staying at the time of this phenomena. I was checking out some of the old nautical pieces and arrows, along with his fathers hand crafted bows, which hung on the wall. His Dad was quite the marksman and had various types of trophies he had been awarded. One of these was a beaded brain tanned leather belt made with old small faceted beads. This had been awarded to his Dad for marksmanship by a northwest native American Chief and just added to my fascination of this house's treasures and stories. Being surrounded by so many interesting items of this families historic past, made me feel like I had traveled back in time. This was a talent I had not yet mastered.
          So this is how things unfolded on that whimsical afternoon. We were both sitting down trying to be cool on that hot summer's day, when through the top part of one of the open windows floated a dandelion seed. It floated slowly and weightlessly, as I opened my palm inviting it to land. We were astonished by its softly driven will, for there was not even a current of air to be felt. I never moved my hand to accommodate its flight towards my palm, yet it landed effortlessly as it came to rest for a while on its landing strip. Chills were moving up and down my spine as we gazed upon this vessel messenger which allowed us to feel the essence of the moment. For about thirty seconds it visited, letting us know we were on the right path and all pieces of the puzzle were in place. Then, content with it's mission, it departed, defying gravity and lightly lifting itself up, it then journeyed out the top[ of the other open window. This made me feel like I and my friend Day were truly chosen to be gifted with this observation of such an amazing occurrence. Thus, solidifying our positions in this realm of reality.  Our paths were aligned with that moment in time, in that room, at that magic moment, at the Cathey House.
           I will sorely miss my masterful friend Day Cathey, but his music, magic and escapades will live on in my memory.

            Stay with me my friends                    Wizzzmo

 


Drawings by Ray Mancini

No comments:

Post a Comment